AutoTech1, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  16 years experience, ASE advanced level cerification, Emission expert, Repair shop owner

ive replaced all my lights..neutral and bottom position

Customer Question

I've replaced all my bulbs for my lights thinking this was the cause of my right blinker not working. When my signal arm is in the neutral and bottom position the left signal continually blinks. However, if I set the signal arm to the top position, not only does my right signal not work, but my left signal stops and it only stops if it is in this position. If I turn my steering wheel to a certain point it will trigger a click sound majority of the time. What could be causing my right signal not to work and my left working, in two position settings?
Category: Car
Expert:  AutoTech1 replied 6 years ago.

I've checked the wiring diagram, in viewing that and based upon your description, I'm going to say, you have a broken turn signal switch in the steering collum. The plastic housing breaks, and the contacts have become mis aligned, causing the malfunction.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I forgot to mention they checked the switch in the steering and it wasn't damaged.

Expert:  AutoTech1 replied 6 years ago.

Do you know if your car is equipped with "On-Star" capabilities?

Expert:  AutoTech1 replied 6 years ago.
The electronics appear different if this car is equipped with a tow bar, or trailer hitch, does your car have a tow bar?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Expert:  AutoTech1 replied 6 years ago.

Ok, let me examine the wire diagram and in a few moments I can give you an answer.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
sorry accidently clicked return..there is no tow bar in the rear, but ther are two iron hooks underneath the front tire area
Expert:  AutoTech1 replied 6 years ago.
There are several tech bulletins from saab regarding the hazard and turn signals malfunctioning due to faulty control modules. With the complexity of these circuits, I think you would be best to visit a Saab dealer. Though technicians at independent shops can be some of the smartest people you will meet, I think the test equipment necessary to diagnose this will only be present at a Saab dealer.