Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician
Experience:  25 years of experience, Certified Subaru Technician and Nissan factory trained.

Rough..out can smell gas like engine is flooding..driven..stall

Customer Question

Engine light started blinking, began sounding like its missing, running very rough, when you get out can smell gas like engine is flooding. Have not driven it since. Starts easy, but sounds like its going to stall. Plugs and wires ok. Will get pvc when can get a ride. What type of oxygen sensor do I have? Could the catalytic converter be out. Has 160K plus miles.
Did not check fuses under the hood.
Category: Car
Expert:  Mike V. replied 6 years ago.
Hi there! Did you happen to have the check engine light scanned for codes?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No, have no idea how to go about that. Looked up on internet where closest place that works on Mazda's is; Elk Grove, LA about 65 miles one way. (I live in Hamburg, AR) Will not have trailer available to get car down there for at least a month, maybe more, did not want to make the appointment til trailer was a for sure thing. They also could not give me an estimate what it would cost to put engine on a machine to check systems. Something else I can check out first?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Who or where do I go to have engine light codes scanned?
Expert:  Mike V. replied 6 years ago.

Most parts stores will check the codes for you at no charge. Especially the bigger ones like Autozone.

You could also try spraying a little bit of water on the coil and see if the car runs rough or if you see any sparks arcing.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Had engine codes checked, they are ok. Disconnected battery cables, check engine light no longer blinking, but still running very rough and can smell gas. Fuel pump ok, charging system ok, catalytic converter system ok. Sprinkling water on coil kills engine, replaced that, still running rough. Going to start over with port cleaner, plugs & wires.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 6 years ago.
It sounds like the wires might resolve the issue. You have an ignition problem if it kills the engine when you put the water on it.