George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 15+ yrs, AAS Automotive Technology, Factory trained Asian specialist
13574682

I recently purchased a Saab 9-3. Last night I walked outside

I recently purchased a Saab 9-3. Last night I walked outside and my hazard lights were flashing. The radio says TELEPHONE and will not shut off. The key is not in the ignition and the car is not on. I disconnected the battery and everything stopped, but when i reconnect the battery, it starts doing the same thing in about 10 minutes. I understand it is an On-Star problem, but I can't find where to disconnect it. Other forums say the plug is in the trunk but I can't find it anywhere. I've also seen sites that say the onstar CPU is in the kick panel on the passenger side, and I'm not really sure how to take out the kick panel. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Hello I will help you with your question,

For the 4door, 5door and the convertable this is the procedure to deactivate the OnStar system

Look it over and let me know of any questions you may have.

2000-2002 Saab 9-3 (9400) 4D/5D; 2000-2003 Saab 9-3 (9400) CV

1.Remove the ground cable from the battery's negative terminal.

2.Apply the handbrake brake.

3.Detach the floor console.

4.Remove the switch and the floor console:

3.1.Twist loose the immobilizer unit (A), bayonet fitting. Unplug the unit's connector.

3.2.Remove the ignition switch cover (B) by first undoing the rear edge of the cover and then unhooking the front edge. Unplug the ignition switch lighting connector.

3.3.Undo the floor console's retaining bolts (C).

3.4.Take out the rear ashtray/cover (D).

3.5.Remove the screw (E) for the rear cover.

3.6.Remove the floor console's retaining nuts (E).

3.7.Detach the floor console (G) by pulling it straight back and lifting it slightly.

3.8.If required, detach the switch for the rear seat heater and unplug the connector.

4.1.Detach the window lift module (A) by loosening it in the front edge (snap fastener). Unplug the window lift module's connector.

4.2.Detach the switch for the roof lighting (B) and unplug its connector. Lift away the floor console.

5.Pry out the signal line from the SRS control module to the OnStar(R) control module and secure it:

5.1.Unplug the SRS control module's connector (A).

5.2Cut off the cable tie (B), detach the connector's rear end face (C) and pull out the connecting rail (D).

5.3.Remove pin 39, cut off the cable terminal and insulate the end with tape (E). Fold back the cable and secure it with tape (F).

5.4.Fit the connecting rail and end face.

5.5.Plug in the connector (A) and secure the cables with cable ties (B).

6.Install the floor console over the handbrake. Do not press the console down into place, but instead allow it to fit loosely.

7.Install the switch:

7.1.Install the switch for the roof lighting (B) and plug in its connector.

7.2.Guide the connectors for the window lift module and rear seat heater, if equipped, through the hole for each respective unit. Plug in the window lift module's connector and install the module (A).

7.3.If equipped, connect the rear seat heater's connector and install the switch.

8.Install the floor console:

8.1.Install the floor console's retaining bolts (C) and retaining nuts (F).

8.2.Align the rear cover; make sure that the air duct connects firmly to the air nozzle. Screw in the cover (E).

8.3.Install the ashtray/cover (D).

8.4.Install the ignition switch cover (B).

8.5.Plug in the immobilizer unit (A) connector. Install the unit, bayonet fitting.

9.Remove the OnStar(R) control modules and secure the wiring:

9.1.Remove the right-hand rear luggage compartment trim in accordance with WIS - 8.

Body - Interior equipment - Adjustment/Replacement.

9.2.Unplug the connectors (A) from the OnStar(R) control modules.

9.3.Remove the console (B) together with the OnStar(R) control modules.

Important: Secure the wiring harness so that there is no risk of chafing and rattling.

9.4.Fold back the wiring harness and tape over the connectors (C). Fold back the wiring harness once more and secure with cable ties (D).

9.5.Install the right-hand rear luggage compartment in accordance with WIS - 8. Body - Interior equipment - Adjustment/Replacement.

10.Install the ground cable to the battery's negative terminal.

11.Clear the diagnostic trouble codes.

12.Set the date and time, see WIS - 3. Electrical system - Information display (SID_ - Technical description.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for your help. Is it possible to skip to the 9th step to just unplug the Onstar system? It's fine with me if it's still in the vehicle I just don't want power running to it. Also, the pictures aren't working in the directions.

The SRS module has a connection that needs to be unplugged, I will repost the TSB and please print it if you need the images as they do time out

I have always done the entire procedure so I don't know if there would be unintended consequesces if you only do part of it. The Onstar is interconnected to several systems and if they woke up and found it missing without it being disconnected they might have a problem with that

2.Apply the handbrake brake.

3.Detach the floor console.

7.Install the switch:

8.Install the floor console:

8.3.Install the ashtray/cover (D).

11.Clear the diagnostic trouble codes.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I see...I was also worried about the other systems waking up. The pictures still won't come up on any of my computers. I'm definitely an amateur on this, so the pictures would really help, but if it's not possible to post them that's ok. Thanks

If you are using google chrome that is the problem, here is a .pdf with the same info