Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician
Experience:  25 years of experience, Certified Subaru Technician and Nissan factory trained.

2000 Oldsmobile Silhouette: lock function but can still be unlocked

I have a 2000 Oldsmobile Silhouette that has issues with the window buttons and lock buttons.
The back windows are supposed to flare out when the button is pushed but they don't. The driver and passenger front windows stopped working with the buttons but the passenger one quit first but the window could still be operated from the driver side. Then the driver side stopped working for both windows.
Also the lock buttons stopped working for the lock function but can still be unlocked with the buttons. Then those buttons do not function anymore.
I tried to change the window buttons on the driver side but got no response from either window.
Category: Car
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 years ago.
HI there! Do you have a test light so we can check the power to the window switches?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I do have a test light but ihave not tried this because I was thinking there was more to it because of the locks not working on both sides also.

About the locks, if I use my remote buttons they work to lock/unlock, and if I use a key from the outside, I can lock or unlock all doors.

Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 years ago.
OK,I would like to start by checking power on the brown wire going into the switch. Should have power with the key on. It sounds like the wiring to the keyless entry for the power locks is fine.I have to check on the wiring diagram for the power locks and see if the power for manually locking and unlocking is the same power for the window switch. Check the power and let me know! Thanks
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I will have to check this power wire at a later time.

Can this post remain open until I can get it checked?

I am not sure on how this works.

Thank You

Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 years ago.
Yes, we can leave this post open and you can just reply when you get a chance to check it out.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The brown wire on the driver side does not have power but the passenger side does.
The window on the passenger side is working now but needs assistance in moving while the button is pressed.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 years ago.
OK, there is a 30 amp breaker in the fuse panel on the right side of the dash in the opening. Pull it and check for power with the test light, or if you have another near it, swap it around and see if we get any improvement.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I pulled the breaker and it does have power to it, then I swapped it twice with two other breakers and the drivers window still a no go.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 years ago.
OK, so the breaker is good and the wiring to it. Do you happen to have a volt meter available?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 years ago.

Excellent!

Ok, on the passenger side switch there should be a yellow wire. I would like to know how many volts you have on that wire key on. Thanks

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Around 14 volts
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 years ago.

OK, that window should be rocking then! not giving you trouble.

Now on the master switch drivers side,I am seeing 2 browns ans a tan. I need to make sure you tested the right brown wire but I have no number for it. On one diagram it is showing the wire as yellow. If you see a yellow going to that switch I would like to have you test it for power with the key on.I don't mean to make you chase your tail here but I need to know if we have any power at all going in there. The 14 volts on the yellow wire passenger side, tells me the breaker and wiring are good to the passenger side. The driver side shares the same power wire, so if we have no power, we have a break in the wire some place.This is why it is important to make sure we have no power headed into the main switch. It could also affect the other switch. Hope this all makes sense!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
There is 14 volts on yellow and nothing on brown for the driver's side.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 years ago.
OK, so we have power happening. This is actually good because it eliminates any broken wires out to the switches. The brown should get power on it when you push the switch to the down position. let me know.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No Power on brown or tan when pushing switch up or down
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 years ago.
OK. One last thing to check I think before we condemn the master switch. Check continuity to ground on the black wire. If there is no ground the switch will not work,I assume you are using a body grond when checking for power. If there is continuity to ground,then it would seem the master switchis no good.Let me know.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
there is continuity to chassis ground from black and from chassis ground to brown
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 years ago.

OK, here is what I think. I think that it could be a bad ground. It would affect both windows. I haven't checked on the rear or the power locks yet, but they may have the same ground. This would explain the trouble with the passenger side. you saw 14 volts,but it is probably less going to the motorthemain ground for these is on the passenger side piller between the door and the sliding door. At the base. You should check it and loosen and retighten the ground. I may have become corroded and has continuity, but not enough.

I have to sign off for the night, but I will be back around 7 eastern time.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The ground wire that you mention between the passenger side and slider door is behind the plastic on the inside or behind the sliders contact plate?
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 years ago.
I believe it is located behind the plastic where the seat belt is at the base. I am not sure if it is also located under the sill plate at the bottom. I was looking at the wiring diagrams for the power lock and the rear windows, they all use this ground. I am thinking if it runs under the sill plate the wires might have some damage in that area. This really could be the problem with things.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have noticed corrosion on the face of the contact plate for the slider door that connects the slider to the electrical circuit.

Could this be the issue?

Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 years ago.
it is possible, but the diagram is showing the main ground at the base of that pillar. Sure isn't going to hurt to clean it up. If it is also grounded by the same ground, it might just be the culprit. I'm pretty sure we are beating this thing right now. I think we are down to the wire so to speak.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

OK good I'll probably tear into the pillar this weekend and I can let you know if that helps or fixes the problem.

Thanks

Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 years ago.

You bet! I really do want to know. It is really quite a process over the web like this

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I dug into the pillar and the wires in there are as good as new, no corrosion or breaks.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 years ago.
OK, I don't have a harness diagram, do they run up the pillar? Or do they come up from the floor via the sill plates?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
From the floor then up the pillar to a snap together connection like used in the entire vehicle. 2 ground wires are screwed to the chassis ground.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 years ago.
well, I am still thinking this is a ground problem. I think you need to trace the wires a bit, maybe they are open or broken under the carpet. It is truly the only thing that make sense sensor for all of the things that are affected here.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Is there a simple way to troubleshoot the wiring to pinpoint where the issue could be?

Like a vehicle diag tool or something?
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 years ago.
not really. The best bet is to disconnect the switches, then put battery power to the ground wire. Then use a volt meter to make sure you are getting 12 volts of power at all the grounds. Hope this makes sense. If you only see like 5 volts, then you know there is a problem with the wires.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 years ago.
I need to add that you have to disconnect it where it is bolted to the frame as well
Mike V., Auto Service Technician
Experience: 25 years of experience, Certified Subaru Technician and Nissan factory trained.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Believe there is known issues with this and how to fix it..
Believe there is known issues with this and how to fix it.