Ironmike, ASE Master Tech, L1
Experience:  30 years GM certified, Ford certified

I have a 2006 Hummer h3 (4 wheel drive)and over the weekend

Customer Question

I have a 2006 Hummer h3 (4 wheel drive)and over the weekend I noticed that when I make a tight turn (turning into a parking spot) the truck does not steer smoothly-the truck seems to lurch.
Category: Car
Expert:  Ironmike replied 6 years ago.

was the truck in 4x4 when the lurching occurred?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It's my wife's car & I thought the truck was full-timeXXXXX
Expert:  Ironmike replied 6 years ago.

If it is full time 4x4 then it might be normal. But I found a bulletin for a similar issue that is caused by a failed part in the transfer case. Better safe than sorry.

Bulletin No.: 08-04-21-005A

Date: March 18, 2009

Borg Warner(R) NR3, NR4 Transfer Case - Parking Lot Shudder, Binds On Turns in 4 High Open, Crow Hop (Replace Plastic Mode Fork)

2006-2008 HUMMER H2, H3

with Borg Warner(R) Transfer Case 4493/4494 (H3 - RPO NR3) or Borg Warner(R) Transfer Case 4484 (H2 - RPO NR4)

This bulletin is being revised to change the labor operation from a published operation to a bulletin only operation. Due to this change, the time has been reduced. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 08-04-21-005 (Section 04 - Driveline/Axle).

Some customers may comment on transfer case parking lot shudder or bind on turns in 4 HI "Open" position on vehicles equipped with Borg Warner(R) 4484, 4493 or 4494 transfer cases.

The plastic mode fork in the transfer case may have melted, which binds the transfer case in a partially applied position.

good luck

Edited by Ironmike on 2/8/2010 at 3:09 PM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for the help. This sounds like it might be the problem. If this is the problem is something the dealership or GM might help with the repair cost?
Expert:  Ironmike replied 6 years ago.

yes, ask for goodwill. If you ask they usually help. You can even tell them about the bulletin.

good luck

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for the advice.
Expert:  Ironmike replied 6 years ago.
you are most welcome, good luck