Amedee
Amedee, Former ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE certified tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

Pully..bearing..I start the car my battery light stays on and Im

I have a XXXXX XXXXX works motor and my idle pully went out and the belt shredded. I have replaced the bearing and the belt correctly, but when I start the car my battery light stays on and Im over heating. What is the problem??
Category: Car
Expert:  Amedee replied 7 years ago.

Hello!

WHat is the battery voltage at idle?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
not sure.. haven had a gauge to tell me.. jus battery light stays on..
Expert:  Amedee replied 7 years ago.

Did you route the belt correctly?

Do you need a belt routing diagram?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
yes.. thats what i thought i did wrong at first.. but i found a diagram online and its the right way.. the car over heated and blew the radiator apart above the alt.. would that have cause it to go bad??
Expert:  Amedee replied 7 years ago.
It is possible!
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

but that was when the pully bearin went out.. but still after i replaced everything still over heats too..

Expert:  Amedee replied 7 years ago.
Can you tell me which way the water pump is spinning?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
wish i could.. believe it or not it doesnt have a pully for a water pump.. which i dont understand.. or a power steering pully.. only pullys are alt,crank,a/c,idle pully, tension pully and supercharger pully........
Expert:  Amedee replied 7 years ago.

SO the water pump must be driven by the timing belt.

Expert:  Amedee replied 7 years ago.

Wait... it looks like it is driven by the supercharger

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
gotta be.. which doesnt make sense why its over heating still.. as for the powersteering i dono? this car is a real pain..
Expert:  Amedee replied 7 years ago.

Mayabe there is a huge air pocket in the cooling system.

You will have to bleed the system. With the engine cold take off the radiator cap and start the motor. as the engine warms up, keep the coolant topped off. the cap should be the highest point int cooling system. If not there will be a bleeder screw that you can open to let out air. Here is a hint, Turn on the heat when the engine is warm, if it is blowing cold, than there is a huge air pocket and the system.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
i tried but when i let it warm up i turned the heat on and the water in the radiator would jus spill out of the top....... no way i blew a head gasket.. the temp gauge didnt blink red or anything when the belt broke... i had to drive about 2 miles after it broke to my house.. temp went bout 7/8 way up to hot and shot back down when i pulled into drive way
Expert:  Amedee replied 7 years ago.
Well, its either a bad head gasket or a air pocket in the cooling system.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

hmm.. well damn it man.. do you think the powersteering is powered by the alt?

Expert:  Amedee replied 7 years ago.

Description and operation

A DC motor, capable of drawing a maximum current of 120 Amperes , but running at an average 11.5 Amperes , powers the system. In standby mode with the engine running but the vehicle stationary the draw is 7.0 Amperes (+ / - ) 10%.

There are two modes of operation for the EHPS: no steering assistance and steering assistance.

With the engine running and no steering assistance required the pump operates at approximately 80% capacity at a speed of 3,500 rpm . Movement of the steering changes the hydraulic pressure within the circuit which in turn effects the operation of the pump, this is identified at the control electronics by the increase in current, the pump speed is increased to 4,500 rpm and now operates at full capacity.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
ok guess thats a yes.. is the battery under the back seat?
Expert:  Amedee replied 7 years ago.

Raise luggage compartment carpet.
Detach ventilation hose (1).
Release locking screw (2) and disconnect battery negative terminal by moving back and forth.
Release battery positive terminal cover (3).
Release locking screw (4) and disconnect battery positive terminal by moving back and forth.
Tightening Torque 5 Nm .
Remove nut and bolt (5) and remove battery clamp (6).
Tightening Torque 6 Nm .
Lift out battery.

Install Hint:
Connect up the battery in reverse sequence. First connect positive lead and then negative lead.
Ensure the battery condition indicator is visible through battery clamp.

graphic