Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE master, 30+ years. All makes and models. Trouble shooter, shop forman, service manager
2947720

2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse GTS: Antifreeze..V6..lower coolant hoses

Customer Question

Subject; Antifreeze leaking from under back of engine.
I have a 2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse GTS V6-3.0.
rule out the following as I have replace the parts and checked, as part of the 62,000 mile Maintenance.
no leaking for the following; (new) upper and lower coolant hoses, (new) Thermostat and Raditor flush and refilled with water and anifreeze.
Waterpump (no leak) and timimg belt to be replace by dealer.
If you need to know anything else.
XXXXX XXXXX XXX@XXXXXX.XXX
Category: Car
Expert:  Jerry replied 4 years ago.

Hello and welcome to Just answer.com, Super mechanic here. About your vehicle.

It may be the "O" ring seals for the coolant pipe that runs from behind the water pump to the back of the engine, (#14),

When they leak, coolant will come out from the rear of the intake manifold. To get at them, the intake has to come off.

graphic

Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience: ASE master, 30+ years. All makes and models. Trouble shooter, shop forman, service manager
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Since I'm going to let the Mitsubishi dealer change out the water pump and Timing belt, I only removed the intake manifold and replace the hoses and thermostat and there was a new ORing that I did replace with the thermostat per the repair manual.

I can not start the car, because I have the intake manifold removed.

I see no leak at the (new) thermostat or (to be replaced by dealer) water pump.

So what you suggest I do?

Thanks

Dave

Expert:  Jerry replied 4 years ago.
You could pressure test it with the manifold off, without starting it. You just may have to plug up the smaller hoses that go to the manifold. You can probably borrow a pressure tester from Autozone, (I think you just have to leave a deposit with them) and see if it is coming out from the "O" rings. I normally put a little RTV sealer on the (new) "O" rings as well. I have also seen a few of the pipes that would have little pin holes in them, from rusting through.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

OK,

I'll work with your information, I'm an engineer by training and understand the design of American cars, the Eclipse is my wife's car and I must say that the Japanese design is totally new to me!!

Thanks dave

Expert:  Jerry replied 4 years ago.
Yeah they are sometimes easier in some areas and others...ughhhh, thanks and come again, anytime.