GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Auto Service Tech
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.

Oldsmobile silhouette: Olds..wheels, front tie rods, flushed..serviced

I have a 2003 Olds oldsmobile silhouette mini van with a little under 150,000 miles on it. I bought it used at 130,000. Since buying it I have replaced both from wheels, front tie rods, flushed/serviced transmission, replaced thermostat, and replaced the AIC. Shortly after buying the van I noticed a whining noise that varied in pitch depending on the rpm's the higher the rpm the higher the pitch of the whine, When I first took it to my mechanic he suggested a Transflush and told me that the flush he uses will not hurt the trans and if it does the company that makes the machine he used and fluid would replace my transmission. So I flushed it. I watched the fluid that came out of my transmission and it was an extremely dark brown color. The first few weeks after flushing the rpm whining got a lil better but now th ewhine has returned even worse than before and it is also shifting hard on 1st and 2nd. I took it back to my mechanic he sayd he has no idea.
Category: Car
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 6 years ago.
Welcome. THis is a VERY Common issue. What is happening is the pressure control solenoid in the transmission on the valve body is stuck in the high pressure setting. THat is why you hear a whine and why it shifts hard. The fix is to replace that solenoid. THis take a bit as the transmission needs to be partly removed to get the side cover of the transmission off to get at this solenoid. My estimate for this repair is about 500.00.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Does that estimate include parts and labor just asking cause i think my mechanic has been taking advantage of me

The part is about 50 and the labour is about 4.5 hours so what ever the labour rate is.