Josh, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  13 years of experience, Factory training for Honda, Hyundai, Kia, Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Saturn
14297198

2009 Hyundai Accent wont start - behaves like dead battery.

2009 Hyundai Accent won't start - behaves like dead battery. Jump started car and took it to dealer. Dealer said nothing wrong. THoughts? Suggestions?
Category: Car
Expert:  Josh replied 6 years ago.
Hello, if you've already replaced the battery and it's still going dead you're going to have an excessive ignition off draw that's draining the battery. Most likely when you took it into the dealer they did a simple starting and charging system test, assuming you just left something on draining the battery and went no further. If the problem persists they're going to need to do a parasitic draw test to determine if there is anything in the vehicle that's staying on draining the battery, most likely something simple like the radio is staying active drawing the battery down. Otherwise the only other possibilities are that you've gotten 2 bad batteries, which is very unlikely.

If you have any other questions please let me know. If you're happy with the information I've provided please click accept.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Would you rule out alternator, bad grounds, key code not getting read? This has happened three times in four months. Coincidentally, my mother had a 1990 Sonata with a similar problem.
Expert:  Josh replied 6 years ago.
A bad alternator would cause the battery light to come on and generally speaking the vehicle wouldn't stay running once you jump started it with an alternator issue. As far as bad grounds and the key code not being read, neither of those issues would be resolved by jump starting the vehicle, as the battery should be at roughly 12.6v with the vehicle off, generally immobilizer problems don't present themselves until the battery gets down below 9v, which would come back to a battery voltage problem.