car guy
car guy, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  21 years in automotive service. 5 with toyota 5 with chevy 11 in independent shops

1998 Hyundai Accent: timing belt..water pump..fuel filter..trans

Customer Question

I have done a major tune-up to a 1998 Hyundai Accent ( timing belt and tension or, water pump, knock sensor replaced twice, belts, wires and hoses, fuel filter, oil pan gasket, trans gasket and filter, thermostat, valve cover gasket, fuel injectors, top 02 sensor). Prior to having this work done, the engine light was never on, but now is coding knock sensor, which as I stated has been replaced twice. I also noticed a smell of carbon monoxide coming thru the interior heat vents when driven. I have reset the code , but still get the knock sensor code
Category: Car
Expert:  car guy replied 6 years ago.
hi , my name is XXXXX XXXXX hope i can help you with your problem. how was the car running before you did all the work? was the knock sensors replaced before all the work, or after the timing belt was replaced? it is possible that the timing belt could be off a tooth and that would affect the ignition timing which could cause knocking and set the lite. did you replace the belt or a shop? how does the car run now, after the work has been done? please let me know so i can help you fix your car. thanks james
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Hi James,

The knock sensor was replaced the same time all the work was done including timing what about the carbonmonoxide that is coming into the car thru the vents

Expert:  car guy replied 6 years ago.
what i am thinking is that the timing belt might be off a tooth. that would cause a slight misfire and lead to a carbonmonoxide smell around the engine. if you smell it in the car threw the vents its because when you turn on the blower fan it sucks fresh air in threw the vent below the windowshield on the passenger side. if the rubber seal that goes between the firewall and the hood is damaged or missing it could suck fumes into the cabin. how does the engine run? does it have power when you accelerate? did you set the timing to factory specs? let me know so we can figure out how to fix your car as quickly as possible. i will check back a lot during the day to look for your reply. thanks james