carguyjosh, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  16 yrs. in professional shop,,ASE auto technician,service on all makes and models

2001 Impala: the check engine light runs..runs rough

2001 Impala with 3.8 V6 engine is for sale at a cheap price. Apparently the check engine light comes on from time to time and then the car runs rough and will only allow use of 1st and 2nd gear manually shifted. Then as suddenly as it came on it disappears and car returns to running normally. I have an OBD reader and tried to pull a trouble code but it said there was no codes to pull?

Question is: What range of problems could I run into if I buy this car? Worst case and best case examples would help.
Category: Car
Expert:  carguyjosh replied 6 years ago.

With this type of problem you could be looking at something as simply as a failing transmission speed sensor or a failing throttle position sensor.

Or as complicated as a failing transmission valve body...

You really need to have the problem occur to be at all accurate...

If you are going to purchase this car, I would count on a $2500.00 transmission rebuild..

That way, no matter what, you'll be ahead of the game...

If the deal is good enough that you could have the transmission rebuilt and deal with the down time, they are nice cars...

Thanks, Josh