Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience:  30 YRS EXPERIANCE, AUTO AND TRUCK,FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DIESEL

My 1994 Mazda MPV wont go into drive or reverse - transmission

Customer Question

My 1994 Mazda MPV won't go into drive or reverse - transmission fluid looks good. Had some radiator work done and some hoses replaced right before this happened.
Category: Car
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 4 years ago.
Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX you check the fluid level with the engine running?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes.
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 4 years ago.

and the car wont move if its in any gear?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It will not move in any gear. I tried them all 1st, 2nd, Drive and reverse. I didn't rev it up too high though. I drove it from the shop - I just picked it up and stopped at the bank drive up window, put it in park and then when I put it back into drive , it just sat there.
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 4 years ago.
if it full and doesnt move in any gear, you eother have the linkage broke at the trans or an internal problem in the trans, but i dont see how the radiator replacement had any thing to do with it, what else was done to the vehicle? Now if there is a restriction in the radiator, in the trans cooler part, this could cause a problem,Tim
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
What do you mean by a restriction in the radiator? What type of problem would it be in the trans cooler part.
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 4 years ago.
the transmission cooler is inside the radiator, if they replaced the radiator, then they also replaced the trans cooler, if the new radiator had a plugged trans cooler, then it will cause problems because the fluid cant pass through it, its the only thing i can see that corellates with the radiator,Tim
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Okay that sounds reasonable. Is this a simple fix?
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 4 years ago.
if it is a plugged cooler, then it is a matter of unplugging it, but it may be a defective radiator and then it would have to be replaced,Tim
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks. XXXXX need you again, how do I select you? Can I print a transcript of our Q & A?
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 4 years ago.
Yes, you can print it. If you need more help, just reply to this question,Tim
Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience: 30 YRS EXPERIANCE, AUTO AND TRUCK,FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DIESEL
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks.
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 4 years ago.
anytime, let me know what they find,Tim
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Did you get paid? I also gave you a tip. I don't know what is customary.
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 4 years ago.
Yes, i got paid, and i thank you, XXXXX XXXXX know what they find, I'm on most every day,Tim
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks. Take care.