GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Auto Service Tech
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.

2001 olds alero: traction control..brakes are applied abs..light comes

Customer Question

Workin on a 2001 olds alero 2.4 abs & traction control system.When car in motion any speed,when brakes are applied abs &traction control off light comes on, abs growls brake pedel pulses back on foot.Car has been in accident mostly body damage.Can you give me some idea of might be goin on and diagnostics procedure.
Category: Car
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 4 years ago.
Welcome. Does one of the wheels actually stop or lock up?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

no

Ok, the issue is likely a weak sensor or bad wiring in one of the front sensors. I would start by looking at the side you had the accident on.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes that would seem likely,but i have inspected harness & fluid lines for any damage none found yet,can you give me an explaination on how abs an traction control work in conjuction with each other, to mayby further explain symptom

Did you open the harness at the front ball joint area of the lower control arm? The wires are notorious for fatiguing in that area.

What I suspect is happening is a sensor is getting a weak signal which would cause the system to cut power to the engine to try and prevent the wheel from slipping. If I was looking at it, I would watch the wheel speed signals with a scan tool and see if one is lower than the rest.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok,ill look closer at harness an get back to you.
OK. IF you do find one out, there is a jumper harness you can get form GM special for this for about 50.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i found a broken wire on left side near connector used butt connector to splice,is that ok or is that gona cause to much resistence?
Resistance will not be an issue, but the rigid part of the wire will likely cause repeat failures. I would run with it for now to make sure it is working, then soon replace that chuck of the harness with one from dealer.