Car expert
Car expert, ASE Certified Technician

1999 mazda 626: door dashboard lights

My 1999 mazda 626 has a problem with the door locks clicking open and close automatically even when the car is off. Just yesterday I turned on the car radio and it played for a minute and turned off on it's own. my dashboard lights are extremely deam and have been for about 6 months.
Category: Car
Expert:  Car expert replied 6 years ago.

this is commonly a sign of a faulty switch , disconnect one switch at a time and see if it stops the erattic operation .

what is the battery voltage while the car is running?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Remove "what switch" one at a time. I recently replaced my battery Iabout 2 months ago. think the charge is good how would I know? Will the locks clicking open and close drain the battery?

This is the door lock switches, start with the driver's door that's the most common switch to go bad. Yes is very often when the door lock switches go bad they engage the door locks when no one is in the car and killed battery