FixItMan
FixItMan, Master Technician
Experience:  AA DEGREE AUTOMOTIVE/DIESEL TECH
1627031

2003 Mazda Protege LX: 000 miles..engine light came..tighten..gas cap

I have a 2003 Mazda Protege LX with 60,000 miles on it. The engine light came on a few months ago (didn't tighten the gas cap til it clicked) and the mechanic must have done something ??, but now it's on again. I tightened the cap correctly then, thinking that may be the problem. I also have started and stopped the car at least ten times this past weekend, but the light is still on. The car seems OK, but two days ago, the idle seemed to "gasp" a little while stopped at a light. Got any answers for me? Thanks!
Category: Car
Expert:  FixItMan replied 7 years ago.
HelloCustomer this can be caused by a number of issues. The best thing to do would be to have the computer scanned for codes to see why the light is on. You can have this done for free at most auto parts stores. Come back here with the codes and I will let you know what is going on and what must be done to fix it.