GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Auto Service Tech
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.

2000 oldsmobile alero: driving my..oil pressure..oil pump..timing belt

Customer Question

i was driving my 2000 oldsmobile alero when all of a sudden all my lights went on, lost oil pressure and the car stalled out. would not start back up. have been told it might be an oil pump, or a timing belt. now the questions i have is do u beleive that either of those are the problem? and if so is there any other damage that could have been done when this happened? and lastly how much do u beleive this will run me? if i did the work myself, and if i paid somebody else? thank you very much for your help.
Category: Car
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 6 years ago.
Welcome. The oil light will come on when the engine stalls. Does the engine crank and sound normal when it does crank?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
no, it sounds terrible. the engine shaking when it starts for a few seconds.
OK, Does the oil light go out when it starts?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
if it does start at all it dies instantly. but i beleive its on, just hard to tell in those few seconds when it fires up. just bought car 6 months ago. only has 74000 miles on it. bought it for wife and newborn son. she babys the car.
Ok, these engines are not known for severe internal issue. Rather I think there is possibly something else that needs to be checked first. These things are the fuel system, which is common for issues, and possibly the ignition system. Unfortunately we needs some tools such as a scan tool and a pressure tester for the fuel system to go further.