1953 Chrysler: engine ran..rebuilt..problem is ignition timing

I have a 1953 Chrysler 251 engine. The engine ran before I had it rebuilt but I can't get it to run now. I think the problem is ignition timing. Does the distributer key gear and camshaft gear have to be in one position only? If so,how can I correct it? When #6 cylinder is TDC on the compression stroke and points are just opening,the rotor location is PAST the #6 contact on the distributer cap. Is this correct?
Category: Car
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 6 years ago.
Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX rotor must be right before the #6, when opening, you have the distributor one tooth off, remove it and back it up 1 tooth
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
My distributer has a rectangular key not a worm gear. How can I change the gear contacting the gear on the camshaft. I cannot Back Up the distributer.
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 6 years ago.
can you adjust the distributor with it in, for timing? If so rotate the distributor back, Tim
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
If I adjuist the disrtributer back I cannot get the points to open.
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 6 years ago.

then you have the timing chain off a tooth, did you rebuild this your self? or did some one do it for you?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

i had the engine rebuilt

I had the Engine Rebuilt by Barnett In Virginia. Please tell me how I can check and correct this problem.

Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 6 years ago.
you will have to remove the front timing cover and make sure the gears line up correctly,Tim
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
If the gears line up correctly, Is there any way that I can Change the relationship between the Distributer gear and the canshaft gear?
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 6 years ago.
I would need to see the end of the distributor, the part with the gear on it, cna you take a pic and post it here?