Pete, Mechanic
Experience:  15 years automotive training and experience.

2001 Olds Bravada: jump..gas pedal..no acceleration, and the MPG gage

2001 Olds Bravada has problems accelerating. This just started. The tachometer will jump around between 2200 rpm to 3000 rpm, and the gas pedal will be near the floor with no acceleration, and the MPG gage will read at 4 MPG to 8 MPG, and the vehicle will not speed up and will actually start to slow down. I was not able to accelerate past 70 miles per hour. Thanks, Shannon
Category: Car
Expert:  Pete replied 4 years ago.
Hello,is the transmission feel like its up shifting from first gear?Is or has your check engine light been on?How many miles on this vehicle?Has anything been done to try and correct this?thanks Pete
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Good Morning,

I would say yes, I think it is shifiting up from first gear. The check engine light came on once during our trip. I think there is 108,000 or 120,000 on the Bravada. Nothing has been done at this time. We were traveling from Fargo, ND to Bismarck ND (3 hrs) and as soon as we hit the interstate, I did not notice anything wrong, until I punched the gas. I wanted to go from 65 mph to 75 mph. That is when the TAC started dancing around and instead of accelerating, I actually started decelerating. I let off the gas, the pedal popped back up, and I was able to slowely accelerate up to 70 mph as I gradually pressed on the gas. Then anytime we hit any type of incline, the TAC would dance and we would slow down. About 60 miles into our trip, the check engine light came on after going up a slight incline, and the TAC danced around during the deceleration. So I pulled over and thought the fuel line might be freezing up as it was -30 below zero with the windchill. So I put some heet in the tank, shut the engine down, and restarted it. The check engine light went away. We were able to make it home, but we averaged between 65 and 70 mph and had the same issue the whole way home. The next day I took it out to what would happen. I tried to accelerate at 30 mph and it did the same thing everytime. Thank you in advance for your advice!!! V/R Shannon

Expert:  Pete replied 4 years ago.
ok,you may have a plugged fuel filter or low pressure from the fuel pump,the pumps fail commonly on these vehicles,also you could have a plugged catalytic converter in the exhaust,firs thing I would do is have the codes checked since the check engine light came on,it may pinpoint the exact fault.Most likely you have a plugged filter or a bad fuel pump.I hope this info helped,if you need anything else let me know,Thanks Pete
Pete, Mechanic
Experience: 15 years automotive training and experience.