Amedee, Former ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE certified tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector

2001 lincoln town car cartier: stop lights..revving..brake pedal Noise

I have a 2001 lincoln town car cartier, this car is making a strange noise ( humming?) noticable mostly at stop lights with transmission in D, and while making this noise is revving up with foot on brake pedal

Noise also happens when driving...there is no correlation for the appearance of the noise with speed...

I can make the noise go away by pressing on the accelerator
Category: Car
Expert:  Amedee replied 6 years ago.

Is this noise more of a vibration? Did you say that it gets louder with engine rpm or it goes away after a certain point?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yes there is vibration associated with the will go away if I press on the accelerator and rev the engine
Expert:  Amedee replied 6 years ago.
Can you feel this vibration coming through the seat?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
no it is located in front of me on the drivers side of the engine and seems near to me
Expert:  Amedee replied 6 years ago.

So its not an engine performance issue...correct?

Just a noise coming from the engine area?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

no performance issue yet, but when it is doing the revving it does when I am at a stop light with my foot on the brake pedal, it feels like that if I let that continue, the car would die...

again, I can make it stop at this time but tapping the accelerator. I am trying to get an idea of what it is so that I can go to my mechanic with a better idea of where to start on a repair...I have ditched my last mechanic because he could not diagnose...

Expert:  Amedee replied 6 years ago.

So the engine will rev up and down?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yes...along with a very loud noise
Expert:  Amedee replied 6 years ago.
Maybe howling noise or hissing noise?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
closer to howling
Expert:  Amedee replied 6 years ago.

You might have an air or a vacuum leak. This is very common! Open the hood and listen for a hissing sound when the engine is running.
Unmetered air can enter the engine through a vacuum leak, a dirty airflow sensor that is not reading airflow accurately, an EGR valve is not closing and is leaking exhaust into the intake manifold, an EGR valve that is allowing too much flow.
If it is hard to pinpoint take some brake cleaner or starting fluid around the intake manifold and vacuum lines and see if the engine stumbles or if the idle is affected. Be extremely careful when doing this!

Also, your throttle body may be carboned up and need to be cleaned! This can cause all sorts of idle and hesitation problems. This is caused by the throttle plate not seating properly. The First thing i would do is clean out the throttle body with some throttle plate and intake cleaner and a small brush. Another common cause would be the Idle Air Control motor. This is very common on older cars. The IAC motor gets lazy and cant keep up with the fast idle changes. Also when the IAC motor is out, I rec to check the passages for carbon build up. If they are plugged they need to be cleaned out.

Check for the following conditions:

Poor connection at PCM or IAC motor. Inspect harness connectors for backed out terminals, improper mating, broken locks, improperly formed or damaged terminals, and poor terminal to wire connection.
Damaged harness. Inspect the wiring harness for damage.
Restricted air intake system. Check for a possible collapsed air intake duct, restricted air filter element, or foreign objects blocking the air intake system.
Throttle body. Check for objects blocking the IAC passage or throttle bore, excessive deposits in the IAC passage and on the IAC pintle, and excessive deposits in the throttle bore and on the throttle plate. Check for a sticking throttle plate. Also inspect the IAC passage for deposits or objects which will not allow the IAC pintle to fully extend.
Vacuum leak. Check for a condition that causes a vacuum leak, such as disconnected or damaged hoses, leaks at EGR valve and EGR pipe to intake manifold, leaks at throttle body, faulty or incorrectly installed PCV valve, leaks at intake manifold brake booster hose disconnected, oil filler cap, oil level indicator loose or missing, etc..