DBranch, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Factory trained Silver Certified Land Rover Technician. 7 years of automotive experience.

85.000 km, always maintained by the landrover

Dear Sir (or Madam),

Is it normal for a discovery 3 HSE TDV6, 4 years old, 85.000 km, always maintained by the landrover dealer, heaving maintenance a month ago: To blow up the battery because you turned up de seat heating front shield and back shield heating and the lights? In the Netherlands its cold and snowing and sometimes in this little country it gets dark.

That's what my dealer told me en let me pay for.

Please respond, because i never head such an experience with my beloved discovery.

With kind regards XXXXX XXXXX Netherlands,

Category: Car
Expert:  DBranch replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to JA.

These vehicles have a problem with blowing up the battery it is very common. The reason they blow up is because the vent tube for the battery gets pinched and the gases cant leave the battery and it blows up. Lan rover has a bulletin about this. Conisder your self lucky if it didnt damage anything else such as the fuse box and the transfer case control module which is on the firewall behinid the battery. The acid from the battery will get on it and corrode and eat up the wiring.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for your answer. Do you have a reference to this landrover bulletin you spoke of so i can refer to it?

Expert:  DBranch replied 6 years ago.