jazzmaster
jazzmaster, ASE Certified Tech
Experience:  ase certified--32 yrs experience
8668911

99 yukon: 150,000 miles...towing, but are going to in the future

I have a 99 yukon. 150,000 miles. havent used it much for towing, but are going to in the future. My wife and i have discussed getting a new truck but I like having this one paid off. I know it needs new shocks but other than that it seems fine. I wouldnt mind taking it to a mechanic and putting about $2,000 to $3,000 into it but I don't know how to approach them on this.
Category: Car
Expert:  jazzmaster replied 7 years ago.
hi and good morning, I would first actually take it to a mechanic and have them go through it like they are checking a used car for a customer to buy and see what it needs and to give you an estimate on it ,then you can go from there ,dont say what you are willing to spend but see what they think it will need,shocks,brakes etc.it sounds like it has been good to you so far and the price of new vehicles is high ,so compare that to what it may cost you to fix this one and keep it for awhile ...guy...
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
would you suggest on something like this to go a GMC dealer or private mechanic. I know the dealer is more expencive but I want to make sure it's done right.

I think any shop will perform the services that you need and be quite good at it ,it would think it would be ok ahd yes while a dealer would be more expensive that there could be a recall or tsb that they might perform while it is there ,keep in mind that this is over ten years old and that a good shop will take care of your truck ,I would if it was mine that I would take it to a shop first and get an estimate then maybe take it to a dealer or call and see what they would charge ...guy..