Ironmike
Ironmike, ASE Master Tech, L1
Experience:  30 years GM certified, Ford certified
11302663

Hello I have just bought a 1997Vauxhall Corsa 1.7D but it has

Customer Question

Hello I have just bought a 1997Vauxhall Corsa 1.7D but it has a problem. When left overnight the battery goes flat & the car won’t start. Also the Rev,Fuel & Temp gauges work intermittently but mainly the Rev gauge. The battery has been changed and there is nothing wrong with the battery because once jump started the car runs fine and also the alternator works fine because once jump started the car will start again for a few hrs even if I only go for a short drive. The car does not cut out once jump started its as if something is draining the battery when everything is turned off (I have checked that no lights etc are stopping on overnight). Can someone please help me because the car has only done 69000 miles & the private seller I bought it from 4 days ago is just laughing at me
Category: Car
Expert:  Ironmike replied 7 years ago.

greetings,

I would start with a draw test , seems that something is drawing enough to kill the battery. You will need a multi-meter, set it on Milli amps and hook it between the positive battery terminal and the positive cable. Wait for 5 minutes(average time for system to settle) and if there is more than 50 Milli-amp draw you have a problem. You can start with pulling the cig lighter fuse(most common) and keep pulling fuses and relays until you see the meter drop below 50 milliamp. The key needs to be off and all doors shut and if there is a light under the hood disconnect, no extra draws. we can diag more after we have isolated the draw.

graphic

good luck