Hayden w.
Hayden w., Automotive Technician
Experience:  NZQA Certificate in Automotive Engineering & Information Technology. Mazda & Hyundai factory trained

1999 Miata: bulbs..interior..a harness section with a plug..connector

Customer Question

I have a used 1999 Miata with fog lights that do not work (I checked the bulbs and they are OK). The wires from the firewall fuse (I checked this fuse and it is OK) are cut inside the right side of the interior (black and yellow wires). How would I connect those wires (is there a harness section with a plug-in connector)? There is an open connector sitting behind the center interior (behind the radio). Also, the fog light switch on the dash lights up when I push it (I checked the fuse in the fuse block and it is also OK).
Category: Car
Expert:  Hayden w. replied 6 years ago.

hi there

Are these a factory fog light setup or aftermarket?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
They are factory installed with a built-in factory switch on the lower left dash (the switch( button) is adjacent to the cruise control button).
Expert:  Hayden w. replied 6 years ago.

Well If you are up to it I can try to help you diagnose the problem

The very first thing I would do is check for power at the fog lights (even though the bulbs are ok)

next I would trace the wiring back to the relay and make sure there are no breaks

Also when you have the engine switched off, the headlights switched on and you switch the fog light switch off and on can you hear a clicking sound from the relay?

(you mentioned there are some snipped wires somewhere, can you see both ends of these and possibly trace them back to their origin)?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The origin of the clipped wires (yellow and black) (inside the right side, below the heater)is from a clip/socket mounted on the right side of the upper firewall in the engine compartment. The wires from the fog lights are green and black. The green wire goes into the same clip/socket, the black is grounded on the firewall. There is a fuse next to the clip/socket with a red wire entering the clip/socket and another red wire connected to the main fuse/relay box in the engine compartment. In summary, the clip/socket has 4 wires: 1 green from the fog lights, 1 red from the fuse, 1 yellow and 1 black into the interior of the car where they are cut off and hanging loose. Everything from the fog lights to the firewall looks good (ie; fuses and bulbs checked out OK).
Expert:  Hayden w. replied 6 years ago.

Hi again

Are you able to do the other things I suggested?

I'm not sure if I can help you otherwise

I hope i'm not causing you too much hassle and I am happy to open up this question to other experts if you would prefer

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
With the headlights on, I unplugged the connection on the firewall and cross connected from the red wire terminal (this wire comes from the engine compartment fuse block) to the green wire terminal (this wire comes from the fog lights) and the fog lights came on. My question is still where do the wires (that are cut off inside the car and come in from the firewall connection previously mentioned) need to be connected. If I cross-connect these 2 wires, the fog lights also work.