Brian, Technician
Experience:  20yrs volvo/saab foreign car service

Same thing happen..few minutes later..the error codes start flashing

I have a 2004 93 and have had the same thing happen twice over the last 30 days. The car will not start, it turns just fine, but will not start. A few minutes later, it starts with no problem, but the error codes start flashing. The first code, which I did not write down exactly, I think reads "traction control failure, contact saab dealer". When I clear that code, the next one read "gearbox malfunction, limited performance, contact saab dealer". Now the car starts with no problem and the only error code is the gearbox malfunction. This exact same thing happened about a month ago and the error cleared itself. The car shifts fine and drives fine, is it possible this is a sensor or an electrical issue, or is the transmission going?
Category: Car
Expert:  Brian replied 6 years ago.

Hi and welcome. This may be the what is called the pnp switch or neutral safety switch which tells the transmission ecu what gear the car is in. I don't think it is a transmission issue certainly seems to be electronic. I think you have 2 different problems with the starting this could be a crank shaft sensor or an ignition switch both are common on the saab. I hope this helps you .

If you have any further questions please let me know.