Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience

95 Acura: more frequently..a strange chemical smell..another car

Customer Question

Hello - I have a 95 Acura integra which doesn't give many too many problems, but since its about 15 yrs old, some things are starting to come up more frequently. The latest just occured within the last few days. At first I noticed a strange chemical smell while sitting at a light, but I thought it may have been another car. Then tonight, on the way home I came to a light again and the smell was even stronger, and this time was accompanied by a lot of smoke. I lived very close so when I got home I turned the car off and immediately checked the oil. I checked the dipstick 3 times, and even though it was a little low, there was always oil at the tip, just below the first dot. Then I turned the car back on and looked under the hood again. As soon as I stuck my head under the hood, I felt air being blown in my face from somewhere in between the bottom of the engine block and the radiator. Any one have an idea what the issue might be?
Category: Car
Expert:  Hayden w. replied 6 years ago.

Hi there

I'm just going to ask a couple questions so I can get a handle on your problem

What is the oil level like when you check it once is has been sitting for an hour or so

What is the level of coolant in the radiator

When there was a lot of smoke what colour was it and where was it coming from (exhaust?)

When was the last time you had the vehicle serviced

Have you seen any warning lights come on at all in the last several weeks and what has the temperature gauge been doing (moving up and down alot, reading hot or cold?)