Amedee
Amedee, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE Master Tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

2001 Kia Sephia LS: power windows..the drivers side stop working

Customer Question

I have a 2001 Kia Sephia LS and I have power windows. Last year the driver's side stop working and took it to the garage and they fix it. Now the windows work and sometimes they don't. The passagener side works but not the other three. Sometimes the drivers work and not the others. What can be done about this problem so it dosen't happen again.
Category: Car
Expert:  Amedee replied 4 years ago.

Hello there!

It sounds like you have a bad power window master switch. When this problem happens, check to be sure that the master switch has all the correct powers and grounds going into the switch with the key on. If all the inputs are correct and the switch is not producing the correct outputs, the master switch is bad and will need to be replaced.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Is the master switch on the drivers side where it controls all four windows? Also if its the master switch is that why the other switches on the individual doors don't work also and do you have any idea how much it will be for replacing the master switch?

Expert:  Amedee replied 4 years ago.

Yes.. the master switch is on the Drivers side door. This will supply power or ground to the other window switches. If the master switch is bad, it can cause all the other window switches to be inoperative and therefore the power windows will not work.

Just be sure all the wiring and connections are in good shape.

It will depend on if you get a new switch or a used switch. New window switches can be slightly expensive. Maybe up to 100 bucks or so. It might not hurt to get one from a junk yard for a couple of bucks and try to put it in yourself. It is a very simply procedure.