Amedee, Former ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE certified tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector

2004 kia optima: timing belt..crank positioning sensor..Timing marks

I just replaced the timing belt and crank positioning sensor in my 2004 kia optima, 2.4. Timing marks moved when belt was removed. Believe everything has been realigned correctly. The car will turn over, but spark plugs will not fire...therefore car will not start. Belt is on correctly, timing marks all line up and sensor is plugged in. What could be the problem?
Category: Car
Expert:  Amedee replied 6 years ago.

Check ot see if there is fuel trigger to the fuel injectors. Maybe you forget ot plug in the crank sensor? Make sure that its secured properly and it is the correct distance away from the reluctor wheel on the timing belt crank pulley.

If all checks out, I would check power ot the coil while cranking.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Im sorry, this didnt help. As indicated, the crank sensor is plugged in. Triple checked it. There is no adjustment for distance from the reluctor wheel. It can only be secured in one position. There is no power to the coils and the fuse is good. Would there be spark if, by chance, the timing is off?
Expert:  Amedee replied 6 years ago.
No... if the timing is off, there is a possibility that there will be no spark depending on how off the timing marks are.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
If the timing is correct and the sensor is positioned correctly and there is no power to the coils, what else could be the cause of the problem ?
Expert:  Amedee replied 6 years ago.
Well no power to the coils would do it! IF this is truly the case, then this is our problem. You will need to trace it back until you find the problem. Let me know if you need a wiring diagram.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
If you have one, it would be GREATLY appreciated!!
Expert:  Amedee replied 6 years ago.

You bet! Here you go!