NicksSticks, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Ford Drivetrain and Chassis Master, ASE Master Technician

2003 Challenger: no 4X4 when I select..low range..tranny..blown fuse

Customer Question

I have just discovered I have no 4X4 when I select high or low range in my 2003 Challenger with auto tranny. Is there a simple solution like a blown fuse or something.
regards Ian
Category: Car
Expert:  NicksSticks replied 6 years ago.

Hi! Seems to be the brushes on your shift motor are stuck do to lack of use. Locate the shift motor (looks like a big electrical motor, bolted to transfercase) and with the vehicle in park, and the switch on 2wd high, tap the starter with a hammer several times until it shifts. If you get it to shift, constantly switch the motor from 2wd to 4wd Low (remember vehicle must be in neutral with foot on the brake to shift out of 4wdl and into This should free up the motor, and shift it atleast once a week to prevent future failure.

Thanks so much for the question,

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The actuator that engages the front wheel drive are vacuum control . this is located on the front differential. A rubber boot covers the actuator shaft so I will slide the boot back and lubricate it and hopefully this will free it up.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I sent a reply days ago. I said that the free wheeling hubs are engaged by actuators powered by vacuum. These have become stuck and the rubber boot over the actuators are peeled back and greased to free them up.
Regards, Ian