Scott, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Ase certified, 24 years, bumper to bumper all makes

98 trooper: heats..flow..head gaskets..Cant find the water pump.

My 98 trooper heats up and fills the over flow jug and will not return to the radiator. Replaced the radiator cap and put a new thermostat in and have replaced the head gaskets. Can't find the water pump. Whats up?
Category: Car
Expert:  Scott replied 6 years ago.

The water pump is driven by the timing belt on the 3.5. I attached a picture of the pump and the location below. Sorry. I know you just had the heads off too, and you going to have to remove the timing belt again.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I guess what I really want to know is what is causing the overflow jug to fill up and not return it to the radiator. I t runs fine until you stop at a stop sign low rpm the temp gauge pegs out take off again high rpms and stays cool until you have to slow down again and doesn't do it all the time but has been getting worse. but would like to know why my radiator fills up the overflow and will not return it If there is something simple I can fix if not needs to be junked. Thanks Joe
Expert:  Scott replied 6 years ago.

Hello Joe,

Overheating on slow downs scream air flow. You need to check if the radiator is getting the air pulled through it when stopped. Verify that the fan is operating correctly. I will assume that this does not happen on start up, only after the vehicle reached operating temp?

Also, check for any external blockage of the radiator, bird nests or mouse houses between radiator and condenser. Also, when the vehicle is at operating temp, shut it down, and see if you can feel cold spots on the radiator. That would indicate a blockage in the cooling fins. I use a laser thermometer.