Pete, Technician
Experience:  17 years automotive training and experience.

2002 olds alero: head starts..alarm..running lights come

Customer Question

2002 olds alero does not start, battery ok, main fuse ok, starter relay seem ok, head lights, windows does not work till car starts, dash says calibrate, radio works door
and alarm works. the car will start when daytime running lights come on as if a relay made contact.
Category: Car
Expert:  Pete replied 6 years ago.
Hello,is your security light on or flashing after you try to start car and release the key(don't turn it all the way back just release the key)?If you jiggle the ignition key around when its in the ignition or turn it off and on several times will it start then?Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No none of the dash lights are on
Expert:  Pete replied 6 years ago.
o.k.,this sounds like it could be an electrical failure in the electronic ignition switch itself,this can be a common failure in these vehicles as I have replaced several of these before for this concern.Also make sure the battery connections are tight as I have found the main battery positive cable loose before on these that has caused this concern.To gain acces to the switch the instrument cluster has to removed and the radio on this vehicle in order to be able to remove the screws that hold the switch in.If all of your battery and under hood fuse box connections are tight then it may be that the electronic ignition switch is at fault here.I hope this info helped,if you need anything else let me know,Thanks Pete.