DBranch, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Factory trained Silver Certified Land Rover Technician. 7 years of automotive experience.

2009 hyundai: sonata will not turn, with my key in the ignition

Customer Question

my 2009 hyundai, sonata will not turn, with my key in the ignition? its "locked up? what to do? i have remote keys.. it will unlock the car, but it wont even budge the ignition ?
Category: Car
Expert:  DBranch replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to JA.

Is the ignition just locked up?

Will the key come out?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes the key WILL come out. it just wont turn the ignition on. its ""locked up. its done this once or twice, but, I simply turn my steering wheel to the left, it unlocks it , i guess and , put the key in ignition, and it turns on. this time . the steering wheel wont budge, and my key in ignition wont turn.
Expert:  DBranch replied 6 years ago.
If you cant move the steering wheel then try this. Dust and dirt can get into your ignition switch and build up over time. The dirt will contain a bit of moisture and cause a "gel" or "grease-like" substance to form. This can freeze if you live where it's cold, but either way, it may stop the key from turning. The fix is to spray a few squirts of carburetor cleaner (using the small spray straw) in there and move the key in and out. This should clean the grease-like substance out of the inside. Then, squirt a bit of WD-40 in there. This should prevent it from happening again for a long time.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I honestly dont think that will help. Have u Ever heard of a new car " locking up .. where the wheels wont turn, the steering wheel is locked, and the key will go IN the ignition, but wont turn to the left or right? I dont even have 15,000 miles on it. the weather is cold tonite, around36 degrees. but I drove to the movies, everything was fine. got in my car to come home, it worked fine. came in the house, forgot to get something at the store. got back in my car, and that is when my key went in the ignition just fine, but everything just locked up. my steering wheeel wont budge, or key is in ignition, but it wont turn it on, start up i mean>
Expert:  DBranch replied 6 years ago.
Isnt the car still under warranty? If you dont want to do what I suggest would you like me to opt out to see if someone else can help you.
Expert:  DBranch replied 6 years ago.
I have seen switches lock up before on new cars sometimes they just fail there is no real reason for it.