RJauto11
RJauto11, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Mechanic
27212359

2003 Hyundai Sonata: 2.4L..car loses power..gauges..spark plugs

I have a 2003 Hyundai Sonata 2.4L, with 88K miles, and all of a sudden its developed an issue where the car loses power, the gauges start flickering, and no matter how much you press the gas you have no power. If you stop, and restart the engine the problem goes away for awhile. I just replaced all the spark plugs and wires. Engine codes show misfires when happens. The fuel filter is built into the gas tank so I can't check. My mechanic is guessing now, since it is intermittent. He is thinking the coil? Any other ideas.
Category: Car
Expert:  RJauto11 replied 6 years ago.
I have seen a lot of coil packs go bad on the Hyundai's. It is common for the coil pack to fail. I agree to try a coil pack especially sense the problem you are having is very intermittent. When the coils heat up they may be shutting down.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
What about an EGR valve? I had another vechicle that had a similar issue and that was the cause?
Expert:  RJauto11 replied 6 years ago.
Yes the EGR can cause a poor idle and lack of power at lower speeds if it is opening when it should be closed. If your engine is making a lot of carbon, it can pass through the valve and hold it off seat. They sell some EGR gaskets with a wire mesh shielding to help keep carbon chunks from clogging or causing the EGR to stay off seat. You can check with your mechanic if one is available for your application.