Amedee
Amedee, Former ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE certified tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

My Isuzu Rodeo 2003 reduced power and engine light comes on

My Isuzu Rodeo 2003 reduced power and engine light comes on and my car comes to a stop with no acceleration. What could be the source of this problem?
Category: Car
Expert:  Amedee replied 6 years ago.

Hello!

DO you know the code in the computer?

How does the engine idle?

Is it only on acceleration the problem is noticable?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Once I turn off the engine and wait a while. I start the engine again the reduced light goes off and within a few hours the engine light goes off. by the time a diagnostic test is done the code is gone.I'm not sur about the engine idle. The problem is noticed shortly after the engine starts and I proceed to drive. The power totally diminishes and the vehicle comes to a stop.

Expert:  Amedee replied 6 years ago.
You could have a bad mass air flow sensor. Or the snorkel from the mass air flow sensor to the throttle body could be ripped. Both are very common and can cause you vehicle to loose power along with many other drive ability issues. First look for cracks or rips or anywhere air can enter the engine that is not accounted for by the mass air flow sensor. Next comes the Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor. This is a very important sensor input to the computer. It uses a hot wire sensing element to measure the amount of air entering the engine. The MAF sensor then outputs an analog voltage signal to the PCM proportional to the intake air mass. The PCM calculates the required fuel injector pulse width in order to provide the desired air/fuel ratio. If the sensor is bad than this air/fuel ratio will be off causing severe performance issues. In extreme cases, I have seen these two problems cause a no start condition. This input can also be used in determining transmission Electronic Pressure Control, shift and torque converter clutch scheduling. The check engine light may even pop on if the sensor is bad, the snorkel is ripped or a tube has fallen off. This will result in a lean condition.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
this problem has existed since about 2004 and it use to occur less but now it seems to be happening much more often. I recently had the 4 oxygen sensors replaced.
Expert:  Amedee replied 6 years ago.

Well,the mas air flow sensor could definitely do this!

Just be sure that there are no air or vacuum leaks and that fuel pressure is up to par.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

can the mass air flow sensor be tested to see if it is bad

Expert:  Amedee replied 6 years ago.
Sure.... do you have a scanner?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

What kind of scanner? By the way I am a female and really don't know a whole lot about cars. what should I ask my mechanic to do?

Expert:  Amedee replied 6 years ago.
Well, there are a few ways to check the mass air flow sensor. With a scanner looking at the grams per second or with a voltmeter checking the voltage at all different engine rpms.