OnlineHelp
OnlineHelp, Mechanic
Experience:  Mechanic
9051600

How do you adjust the timing on a 94 plymouth acclaim

how do you adjust the timing on a 94 plymouth acclaim
Category: Car
Expert:  OnlineHelp replied 4 years ago.

Hello and thank you for choosing Just Answer.

What size motor?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
2.5 liter? it's a 4 cylinder

Thank you.

I will do this in 2 posts. One to Adjust if the belt is not removed and the second to Remove & Install. The second post will also have diagrams and pictures.

ADJUSTMENT

*Use this adjustment procedure if the belt was not removed.

2.5L Engines

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  2. Apply the parking brake, block the rear wheels, then raise and safely support the front of the vehicle on jackstands.
  3. Remove the right front inner splash shield.
  4. Remove the timing belt tensioner cover.
  5. Position Special Tensioning Tool C-4703, or equivalent, on the hex of the tensioner so that its weight is approximately at the 10 o'clock position, then loosen the bolt.
  6. The tensioner should drop to the 9 o'clock position. Reposition the tool as required in order to have it end up at the 9 o'clock position (parallel to the ground, hanging toward the rear of the vehicle) with a range to approximately 15° above and below the 9 o'clock position.
  7. Hold the tensioning tool in position and tighten the bolt. Do not pull the tool past the 9 o'clock position or the belt will be too tight and will cause howling or possible breakage. Tighten the tensioner locknut to 32 ft. lbs. (44 Nm) for 1981-88 models, or to 45 ft. lbs. (61 Nm) for 1989-95 models.
  8. Install the tensioner cover and the splash shield.
  9. Lower the vehicle and remove the wheel blocks.
  10. Connect the negative battery cable.

REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

2.5L Engines

See Figures 1 through 12

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 1: After raising the vehicle, remove the right inner splash shield from the vehicle

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 2: After removing the attaching bolts, pull the pulleys off of the flanges-no puller tool is necessary

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 3: Timing belt cover attaching fasteners for non-Turbo III models

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 4: Support the engine with a floor jack, then remove the engine mount through-bolt

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 5: Rotate the crankshaft until the engine is at TDC for No. 1 cylinder, then matchmark the sprockets

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 6: When at TDC, the camshaft sprocket hole should be at 12 o'clock

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 7: Loosen the timing belt idler pulley, then remove the belt

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 8: After the belt is removed, the idler pulley can also be removed

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 9: Before installing the timing belt, make sure that the engine block and sprockets' timing marks are aligned-the crankshaft and intermediate shaft timing marks should be aligned as shown

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 10: Use Special Tool C-4703 to tension the timing belt-the tool should drop to within 15 degrees of the horizontal

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 11: To double check the engine timing, position the engine at TDC for No. 1 cylinder on compression stroke, then remove the small timing hole plug-the small hole in the sprocket must be centered in the timing belt cover hole

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 12: Exploded view of the solid mount compressor bracket and related torque values

To perform this procedure, you will need a special tool No. C4703, or equivalent, to apply specified tension to the timing belt. Be careful not to allow the timing belt to come in contact with oil or any solvent, otherwise the teeth will be weakened.

2. Remove the timing belt cover, as described earlier in this section.
  3. Remove the A/C compressor with the fluid lines attached. For more information, refer to . Set the compressor aside.
  4. Remove the alternator pivot bolt and remove the alternator.
  5. Remove the A/C compressor belt idler unit.
  6. Position a hydraulic floor jack under the engine. Place a long block of wood between the floor XXXXX XXXXXfting pad and the oil pan to spread the load of the engine in such a way that the oil pan will not be damaged. Raise the engine only until its weight is taken up by the floor jack, then remove the main through-bolt from the right engine mount-the one that is situated near the timing cover.
  7. Remove the five A/C solid mount bracket side mounting bolts (No. 1, 4, 5, 6, and 7). Remove the front mounting nut (No. 2) and remove the front bolt (No. 3). Remove the front mounting bolt and strut, rotate the solid mount bracket away from the engine and slide the bracket on stud until free. Remove the spacer from the stud.
  8. Raise the engine slightly more for access to the crankshaft sprocket.
  9. Using the larger bolt on the crankshaft pulley, turn the engine until the No. 1 cylinder is at TDC of the compression stroke. At this point the valves for the No. 1 cylinder will be closed and the timing mark will be aligned with the pointer on the flywheel housing. Make sure that the dots on the camshaft sprocket and cylinder head are aligned.
  10. Loosen the tensioner pulley center nut. Then, rotate the large hex counterclockwise to reduce belt tension. Now, slide the belt off the tensioner pulley, then the crankshaft, auxiliary shaft and camshaft pulleys.

To install:

1. Check that the V-notch or dot on the crankshaft pulley aligns with the dot mark or line on the intermediate shaft. Check also that the arrows on the hub of the camshaft are in line with the No. 1 camshaft cap-to-cylinder head line.

If the timing marks are not perfectly aligned, poor engine performance and probable engine damage will result!

1. Install the belt on the pulleys with the teeth located so as to perfectly maintain the alignment off all pulleys described in the removal procedure. Install the timing belt on the camshaft sprocket first, then, while keeping the belt taut, around the intermediate shaft sprocket. Finally wrap the belt under the crankshaft sprocket. All slack in the belt should be between the camshaft and crankshaft sprocket on the tensioner side.

If the timing marks are in line, but slack exists in the belt between either the camshaft and intermediate shaft sprockets or the intermediate and crankshaft sprockets, the timing will be incorrect when the belt is tensioned. All slack must be only between the crankshaft and camshaft sprockets.

1. Adjust the tensioner by installing special tool C-4703, or equivalent, onto the large hex. Install the tool with the weight hanging away from the auxiliary shaft drive pulley and allow its weight to tension the belt. Position the tool so that after its tension is applied, the weight will be as close as possible to the height of the center of the pulley (the lever is horizontal). Reset the position of the tool to make sure the tool sits in this position after its tension is applied, if necessary. It must be within 15° of horizontal. Finally, tighten the tensioner locknut to 32 ft. lbs. (44 Nm) for 1981-88 models, or to 45 ft. lbs. (61 Nm) for 1989-95 models. Do not tighten the tensioner tool too tight, otherwise it could cause the belt to howl or possibly break.
  2. Rotate the engine 2 full revolutions by the center crankshaft pulley bolt and recheck that the timing marks on the camshaft, crankshaft and intermediate sprockets are correctly aligned as during the removal procedure. If necessary, alter the position of the belt teeth to correct timing and reset the tension.
  3. For vehicles with A/C and solid mount compressors, install the solid mount compressor bracket as follows:
    1. Position the spacer onto the stud, then install the bracket on the front (2 nut) mounting stud and slide the bracket over the timing belt cover into position.
    2. Loosen the assembly bracket-to-engine fasteners (numbered 1 through 7-refer to the accompanying illustration).

WARNING The bracket fasteners must be tightened in the proper sequence and to the specified torque values.
    3. Tighten the fasteners in the following sequence: 1) bolt 1 to 30 inch lbs. (3.3 Nm), 2) nut 2 and bolt 3 to 40 ft. lbs. (54 Nm), 3) bolts 1, 4 and 5 to 40 ft. lbs. (54 Nm), 4) bolts 6 and 7 to 40 ft. lbs. (54 Nm).
  4. Install the alternator and compressor to the bracket. Tighten the compressor mounting bolts to 40 ft. lbs. (54 Nm).

1. Install the timing belt cover and pulleys.
  2. Lower the engine and reassemble the engine mount, tightening the through-bolt to 70 ft. lbs. (95 Nm).
  3. Remove the floor jack from under the engine.
  4. Install the timing belt covers, as described earlier in this section.
  5. Connect the negative battery cable.
  6. Adjust the ignition timing, if necessary.

OnlineHelp, Mechanic
Experience: Mechanic