jzautotech, Technician
Experience:  automotive shop owner

Brake 07 sierraby a trailer dealer..onstar..xm radio

Customer Question

I had a brake controller installed on my 07 sierraby a trailer dealer. my onstar and xm radio are now not functioning. My xm radio says it cannot work due to communications problem. my navigation and other radio functions are normal. onstar will not connect. I checked fuse #47 but it was not burned out. any ideas?
Category: Car
Expert:  jzautotech replied 6 years ago.
you should probably take it back to the place that installed it and have them check thier wiring. looks like they may have connected a wire for the brake controller to a CAN communication wire. if these wires are shorted you will loose any function that BUS controls. if you were going to try to locate this problem yourself I would suggest you find were the wires from the controller go and look for a spliced connection to wires that are twisted together in a pair. but I would definitely have them look at it first. hope this is helpful

Edited by jzautotech on 1/22/2010 at 2:48 PM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I had them look at it again yesterday. They did not splice any wires, but they did hook up to the posts on the front of the fuse box under the hood. I am not a mechanic.
what model trailer brake unit is this?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Drawtite activator2

check the fuse under the hood that is labeled as "info" it should be among a group of four fuses in the lower right corner of the box.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
That fuse is not blown. I appreciate your trying but I think I need a wire diagram that shows where power runs OnStar and xm. The light on rearview mirror is not lit for OnStar. The only power in mirror runs the temp sensor in mirror
i will do my best to locate one