Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  17 years experience as a auto mechanic,foreign and domestic.5 years running my own repair business.

The wheel hubs to replace the brake rotors

how to get the front auto hubs off to remove the wheel hubs to replace the brake rotors? 1990 Isuzu Trooper
Category: Car
Expert:  Mike Kelly replied 4 years ago.

Hi,how are you? 2wd trooper

1. Raise and support the front of the vehicle safely on jackstands.
  2. Remove the wheel and tire assembly.
  3. Remove the brake caliper mounting bolts and carefully remove the caliper (along with the brake pads) from the rotor. Do not disconnect the brake line. Secure the caliper out of the way with the flexible line still connected.

Once the hub/rotor is removed from the vehicle the wheel bearings may be cleaned and repacked or the bearings and races may be replaced. For more information, please refer to the wheel bearing procedures inof this manual.

1. Carefully pry out the grease cap, then remove the cotter pin, spindle nut, and washer. Remove the hub/rotor, being careful not to drop the outer wheel bearings. As the hub/rotor is pulled forward, the outer wheel bearings will often fall forward.
  2. Once the hub/rotor is removed, secure the assembly in a soft-jawed vise. Remove the retainer bolts securing the rotor and hub together. Inspect the hub and replace if needed.

To install:

1. With the rotor secured in a vise, attach the wheel hub to the rotor using the retainer bolts. Tighten the bolts to 47-58 ft. lbs. (61-75 Nm).
  2. Carefully install the wheel hub/rotor over the spindle.
  3. Using your hands, firmly press the outer bearing into the hub.
  4. Loosely install the spindle washer and nut, but do not install the cotter pin or dust cap at this time.
  5. Install the brake caliper.
  6. Install the tire and wheel assembly.
  7. Properly adjust the wheel bearings:
    1. Spin the wheel forward by hand and tighten the nut to 22 ft. lbs. (29 Nm) in order to fully seat the bearings and remove any burrs from the threads.
    2. Back off the nut until it is just loose, then finger-tighten the nut.
    3. Loosen the nut 1 / 4 - 1 / 2 turn until either hole in the spindle lines up with a slot in the nut, then install a new cotter pin. This may appear to be too loose, but it is the correct adjustment.

8. Install the dust cap.
  9. Install the wheel/hub cover, then remove the supports and carefully lower the vehicle.

graphic

4wd trooper

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 6: With the rotor installed on the vehicle, loosen the hub-to-rotor retainer bolts

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 7: Loosen and remove the hub retainer bolts-automatic hub shown, manual hub removal is similar

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 8: With the outer bearing and clutch components removed, lift off the rotor/hub assembly

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 9: Remove hub to rotor retainer bolts

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 10: With the retainer bolts removed, separate the hub assembly from the rotor

1. Place the Transfer shift in the 2H position.
  2. Raise and support the front of the vehicle safely on jackstands.
  3. Remove the wheel and tire assembly.
  4. Loosen the hub to rotor retainer bolts.
  5. Remove the brake caliper mounting bolts and carefully remove the caliper (along with the brake pads) from the rotor. Do not disconnect the brake line. Secure the caliper out of the way with the flexible line still connected.

1. Remove the hub nut using hub wrench J-29020-A or equivalent.
  2. Remove the hub cap assembly retainer bolts. Remove the spindle nut, washers, and other components. Remove the hub/rotor, being careful not to drop the outer wheel bearings. As the hub/rotor is pulled forward, the outer wheel bearings will often fall forward.
  3. Once the hub/rotor is removed, remove the retainer bolts securing the rotor and hub together. Inspect the hub and replace if needed.

To install:

1. With the rotor secured in a vise, attach the wheel hub to the rotor using the retainer bolts. Tighten the bolts to 47-58 ft. lbs. (61-75 Nm). Apply 2.12 oz. (60 gm) of grease to the hub before installing.
  3. Install the bearings washers and other components. Position the lock washer so the hub cap assembly bolt holes line up properly.
  4. Install the spindle washer and nut and secure using hub wrench J-29020-A or equivalent. Preload the bearing to 3.31 lbs. (1.5 kg).
  5. Install the inner cam and any shims. Install the hub cap assembly and secure in place with retainer bolts. Tighten grade M8 bolts to 17-22 ft. lbs. (22-29 Nm), tighten grade M10 bolts to 40-47 ft. lbs. (52-61 Nm).
  6. Install the brake caliper.
  7. Install the tire and wheel assembly.
  8. Remove the supports and carefully lower the vehicle.

Let me know if you need further assistance.
Mike Kelly, Auto Mechanic
Experience: 17 years experience as a auto mechanic,foreign and domestic.5 years running my own repair business.
Sorry,i guess i just don't know how else to explain the process,with out being there to show you,maybe if you can upload a photo to show me where you are stuck.Thank you.