NicksSticks, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Ford Drivetrain and Chassis Master, ASE Master Technician

97 lincoln town car: level

my 97 lincoln towncar with 174k miles has a hard shift when overdrive shifts upon acceleration or deceleration (it almost seems like the engine has a jerking missfire ,however this is not eveident at cruise) the xmsn. is flushed at regular maintenance reccomended by maf.the fluid level is fine and clean . This problem started about 1000 miles ago. should I change the xmsn. filter ,ck downshift linkage (if applicable) . what is the coarse of troubleshooting to take?
Category: Car
Expert:  NicksSticks replied 6 years ago.
Hi! does the town car seem to stay in one gear longer than usuall, than bang into a gear? If so what shift can you guess it is felt at? (most common when shifting into second, but sometimes happens from second to third, this information is crucial so I can tell you exactly whats wrong, will be minor).
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
there seems to be no lag in shifting . the problem is intermittent and seems to be associated with the downshift during acelleration . most apperent when downshifting from overdrive to 3rd gear . The shift from 1st to 2nd or 2nd to 1st is normal . Would a BG xmsn. service flush possibly correct this problem without amplifing the problem ? If you need further info. please do not hesistate to contact me . thanks

Hi! if no signs of transmission slipping, and fluid condition does not show any signs of metal or burned, only possible cause for this downshift can be internal in the valve body.

If up to it, I recommend removing the pan, and valve body (all 8mm bolts). Next remove the separator plate cover, (flip over on table, and remove all 10mm bolts) be careful not to lose any of the eight check balls and one fluid restricter. Next, drain valve body and push all valves against their springs with a pick, if any seem to be stuck, you can try to remove it and clean it up carefully by moving the valve in and out of the bore rapidly.

An easier repair would be just to replace the valve body with a remanufactured unit.

Thanks so much, and I hope this information was helpful. Do not worry about any electrical solenoids being at fault.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Your info was helpful, however I would like to know in your opinion, Would a additive help to free up the sticky valve body, such as a BG transmission service /flush or LUCAS transmission additive ? Would this action compound my intermittent problem?

Okay, great question. I have on my own vehicles, drained about one quart, then put

four transmission conditioner additives in, (Dont flush, just install about a quart of Lucas trans additive) drove it for about a week, then flushed transmisison, and the problem (simililar to yours) went away for good. Definetly worth a try, and much less expensive then what I recommended above. Now, I can not gaurentee it will work with your particular situation.

Thanks so much for the update,

Remember, I get no credit for my research, knowledge and experience unless the GREEN accept button is clicked. Feel free to update with me afterwards.

Thanks again,