gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, Technician
Experience:  VW Technician, VW FastTrack, VW Academy, VW Certified
12249065

Felicia 1999v, 51,000 miles) was fitted with new distributor

Customer Question

Initial problem: Car cut out whilst coming to a stop. Car failed to turn back on.

Car (skoda Felicia 1999v, 51,000 miles) was fitted with new distributor to allow the car to be switched on. Car does switch on but it now idles up and down and is prone to cutting out at low speeds (Rev drifts towards Zero). Initially I thought it was a fuel pump issue, anyone got any thoughts, i do not want to add new parts which wont fix the problem directly!
Category: Car
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 7 years ago.

I would take the throttle body off and clean it well- they tend to get really dirty, and at idle will not allow the correct amount of air to pass (it is a very small amount at idle, and any clogging will foul this up) This repair is free or inexpensive, just use some spray carb cleaner or brake parts cleaner and a lint free cloth, make sure to get the areas close to where the butterfly plate pivots.

Also make sure that you don't have any vacuum leaks anywhere else in the intake, like small cloth braid covered vacuum lines.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
This answer is not acceptable and not comprehensive enough for the £13 and thus I will not accept this answer.

Did you try it? We have a lot of problems with misfiring and rough running, especially at low speeds or idle, that are cleared up by cleaning the throttle body well. This is just a starting point, there are many variables that can cause this problem. Again, another issue would be an intake air leak, where "unmetered" air is getting in downstream of the Mass Air Flow sensor. Both of these solutions are FREE, needing no parts to be thrown at the car.

Further diag after that point may point to the MAF itself, etc.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The problem was faulty distributor leads apparently.
Ah, I see you had two threads open asking the same question. Looks like the other guy gave you a similar answer. It's hard to diagnose over the internet, just trying to start with the most basic and common (and free) issues, leading up slowly to other items to check. Don't want to buy parts that aren't needed.