danny, Mechanic
Experience:  Mechanic at school corp bus garage! Experience in fleet diesel and regular automotive.

1995 Mazda B2300: clutch..slave cylinder..the two bolts..removing

Customer Question

I have a 1995 Mazda B2300 with a 5 speed manual transmission. I am trying to remove the transmission to change the clutch release cylinder (slave cylinder). I have removed the two bolts on the left, right, and the bottom as well as removing the starter. Are there any bolts on the top? If there are bolts on the top, how do I attain access to them because I cant see them or feel them?
Category: Car
Expert:  danny replied 6 years ago.
Dont forget you will have studs there also so it will have to come back bit. I will get you a diagram be right back.
Expert:  danny replied 6 years ago.

Please copy and paste these they can expire.

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  2. Place the transmission in neutral.
  3. Remove the gear shift lever.

Gear shift lever

(1)Remove the shift lever boot screws.
(2)Slide the shift lever boot up the gear shift lever shaft.
(3)Remove the gear shift lever bolt and remove the gear shift lever
  1. Raise the vehicle and support it with safety stands.
  2. Drain the transmission oil into a suitable container.
  3. On 4x2 models, remove the propeller shaft.
  4. Disconnect the clutch pipe from the transmission case,

(1)Disconnect the clutch pipe at the transmission case using Clutch Disconnect Tool T88T-70522-A, or equivalent.
(2)Slide the white plastic sleeve toward the clutch release cylinder while applying a slight lug on the pipe.
(3)Plug both ends of the line to prevent fluid leakage and the entry of contaminants.
  1. Remove the speedometer cable from the extension housing or transfer case.
  2. Disconnect the park/neutral position and back-up light switches.
  3. Remove the starter.
  4. On 3.OL and 4.OL engines, remove the necessary exhaust system components to gain adequate clearance.
  5. On 4x4 models, remove the transfer case.

1. Remove the bolts, lockwashers and flatwashers attaching the transmission to the engine rear plate.
  2. Remove the nuts and bolts attaching the transmission mount to the crossmember.
  3. Remove the nuts attaching the crossmember to the frame side rails and remove the crossmember.
  4. Work the transmission off of the locating dowels.
  5. Remove speedometer cable and disconnect park/neutral position switch and back-up light switch.
  6. Remove starter.
  7. On B3000 and B4000 models, remove necessary exhaust system components to gain adequate clearance.
  8. On 4WD models, remove transfer case.
  9. Position suitable transmission jack under transmission.
  10. Remove the transmission.
  11. Reverse procedure to install. Tighten to specifications

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

What I need to know is how to get to the bolts on the top of the transmission as I am not able to see them nor feel them?

Expert:  danny replied 6 years ago.

You may have to scratch around up there to clean some dirt away. Are you saying you cant reach there or cant feel the bolts when you reach there.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I couldnt wait any longer so I called a mobile mechanic and he removed the bolt. There is only one on the top and its located on the intake side of the engine but you have to get to it from the opposite side.
Expert:  danny replied 6 years ago.
Good job I am glad you got it. And thanks for the feed back. Those engineers make it hard on us sometimes dont they.