Dale Stockstill
Dale Stockstill, Automotive Diagnostic Technician
Experience:  40 years of Automotive Technical Knowledge, Teacher, Diagnostic Specialist
19741685

1990 Oldsmobile Regency: slow down..accelerate..loss of power-steering

Customer Question

My 1990 Oldsmobile Regency Brougham seems to run perfectly fine until the engine warms up. Then, it begins to hesitate, backfire, shake, and shudder and the only way to get it to stop is to slow down, but then I can't accelerate and once I get below 10mph, it isn't uncommon for the engine to quit, which causes loss of power-steering, thus a dangerous situation. The car typically will restart immediately, but will not run for very long. I've replaced the MAF sensor, the Fuel filter, the PCV valve, as well as a tube or two and some wiring in the engine. The spark plugs are clean and I've recently had the radiator flushed as well as an oil change. Any idea why my car acts this way?
Category: Car
Expert:  Dale Stockstill replied 4 years ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help you.

How many miles on this vehicle? Is most of it's use in town? If so, it sounds like a possible plugged catalytic converter.

Let me know and I will try to help you isolate so you know for sure.

Sincerely,

Dale

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The car has roughly 62,000 miles on it and yes, most of it has been through in town use. I recieved the car from the relatives of an elderly gentleman who had passed away. Also, the indicator light for temperature irregularities has not come on, so I'm assuming the car would not be overheating due to an improper radiator flush?

My guess, without being there is that the catalytic is plugged up. The signs you are showing me are classic to this. Generally, after the engine is warm you can open the throttle wide open and the vacuum on the engine will drop to almost zero. If that is the case, unhook the exhaust between the muffler and catalytic converter and I think you will find that it runs fine.

If not, left me know. Otherwise replace or eliminate the catalytic converter depending on what State you reside in.

Sincerely,

Dale

Experience: 40 years of Automotive Technical Knowledge, Teacher, Diagnostic Specialist
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX will try that and see!

Be sure and let me know if that eliminates the problem. I think that is what is wrong. The real test is the vacuum gage reading under a load.

Sincerely,

Dale