danny
danny, Mechanic
Experience:  Mechanic at school corp bus garage! Experience in fleet diesel and regular automotive.
17254274

Mitsubishi: turbo diesel..a bunch of black smoke on start..gl..?Thanks

Customer Question

Hi, My Mitsubishi Pajero 2.8 turbo diesel gives a bunch of black smoke on start-up. It stops smoking soon after. I have just had new glo-plugs fitted.
Could you tell me what to look for please ?
Thanks
Category: Car
Expert:  danny replied 6 years ago.

Depending on your miles you could have worn componants in the engine.

you gould be getting to much fuel from leaky injectors and then when the fuel burns

off you are ok. This condition can start putting fuel in your oil. The most common is

oil stem seals. This condition will also start to smoke while just idleing for a while.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for the reply. My mileage is 100,000 miles and the vehicle doesn't give off any smoke whilst idling. I guess it could then be a drippy injector ? If this is the case, would it be harmful to the engine- I change theoil every 3-4 thousand miles.

Cheers Barry

Expert:  danny replied 6 years ago.
Only if it start getting into your oil. Your right at 100,000 miles you should be fine. You have some time but it could affect how it runs and cause a not start condition if it gets much worse.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hi again Danny, Well I had the injectors serviced and it's the same my man.

Diesel fuel is obviously leaking into the engine at night. It is especially smoky when it is really cold, down to 14 Fahrenheit. Where else could diesel get in except for the injectors ?