Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  16 years automotive and OTR repair including specialized training from Toyota and Mitsubishi
21364095

2004 hyundai sonata: diagram for timing marks..crank shaft..oil pump

Customer Question

diagram for timing marks for crank shaft and oil pump for 2004 hyundai sonata
Category: Car
Expert:  Doug replied 6 years ago.

Hi, I can help you with that.

Here are the timing mark locations:

graphic

Be aware the oil pump pulley drives a balance shaft, and due to the gear reduction in the oil pump the timing mark is only correct once every 720 degrees. Meaning if the oil pump sprocket has spun with the belt off the vehicle and you realign it to the timing mark you have a one in two chance of it being correct. To verify you have the correct position, there is a 14mm bolt in the left hand side of the block (right on the balance shaft 'tunnel'. When this bolt is removed, you will be able to stick a screwdriver or othr metal object 2.5 inches into the block when it is in the correct position; the shaft also will not turn more than 15 degrees in either direction. When you are out of phase, you will only be able to go in about one inch.

If you have any questions let me know!

Expert:  Doug replied 6 years ago.

Here is the secondary balance belt, in case you needed it as well. This shaft is not like the other; if the arrow on the side lines up, it's good.

graphic

If you have any questions, let me know! Please remember to click Accept when you are all finished to credit my time. Thanks