mike
mike, bmw master tech
Experience:  ase certified.. bmw master tech
13313167

2006 Elantra: Driving home..Check Engine..light came..short distances

Customer Question

Driving home in the dark the "Check Engine" light came on. The car is a 2006 Elantra with 32000 miles. Is it OK to drive short distances until Monday?
Category: Car
Expert:  mike replied 6 years ago.
Hi yes it is safe to drive untill you get it checked out. It could come on for many reasons. You need to see what fault codes are set. As long as it is not flashing it is fine to drive as long as you want. When it is flashing that will indicate the car is misfiring which will damage other componets and have loss of power and run rough. Solid light faults there and should be fixed just ok to drive. The most common on that car would be the gas cap left loose or a evap purge valve is also common. Thanks mike
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Mike:

Thanks for the info. Thought I'd be OK, but felt insecure without expert back-up. Now I can cash a paycheck tomorrow and go to work on sunday!

JoeCustomer
Expert:  mike replied 6 years ago.
No problem. Yeah your ok. Thanks mike