Wolfgang
Wolfgang, Master Auto Tech
Experience:  Master, L1, L2, ASE 15yrs and running.

I have a 2002 buick lesabre 3.8. I just replaced my intake

I have a 2002 buick lesabre 3.8.
I just replaced my intake and gasket. When I finished I noticed that when the engine is running and I try to remove the oil filler cap there is a large amount of suction holding the oil cap on. When I pull the cap off, the motor stalls. What is going on.
The car runs great.
Category: Car
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 4 years ago.

because of the crancase ventilation system and how it is designed engine vacuum is in the crankcase!! so when u remove the cap u just induced a big vacuum leak!!!

there is nothing wrong w/ the engine and it is a normal operating design and condition!!

I THINK I HAVE ANSWERED YOUR QUESTION FULLY AND DEPOSITS DOES NOT PAY ME SO........

THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT AND FEEDBACK IS ESSENTIAL!!

BONUSES ARE GREATLY APPRECIATED FOR MY EXPERTISE!!

THANKS AGAIN!!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have worked on quite a few different engines and I have never noticed this before. Are you sure there is supposed to be enough suction to make it difficult to remove the oil fill cap. I have to actually pull the cap to remove it while it is running. Also I have never had an engine stall when I removed the cap.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 4 years ago.

yes !!! that engine is a high vacuum motor and if the vacuum was low the engine would not run correctly!!

it's normal!! all newer cars are like that due to emissions regulations and design factors!!

THANKS AGAIN!!

Wolfgang, Master Auto Tech
Experience: Master, L1, L2, ASE 15yrs and running.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It is not that I don't want to pay you, I just don't think it is right. After I changed out the intake, I noticed a squealing sound that I thought was the serpentine belt. Tonight after work I installed a new one. I still have the squealing sound. I now believe the squealing noise is from the engine sucking somewhere. If I hold the oil cap slightly away from seating,so that it cannot build up a large vacume, the squealing stops. I think it is building up to much vacuum. By the way the only reason I changed out the intake was because I just bought the car three months ago with 90000 and I did not want to loose the motor to the infamous "intake warp age". It has always ran great since I owned it, but I never noticed all this vacuum. I do value your expert opinion but I think one of us is missing something. Thank you
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 4 years ago.
DID U CHANGE THE PCV VALVE ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 4 years ago.
DID U USE THE OLD ONE?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 4 years ago.
IS THE NOISE IN THE SAME AREA AROUND PCV!!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
you are "the man". I did not even realize that there was a pcv valve under the sensor. The instructions even state INPORTANT Transfer all PCV componets (PCV valve, spring upper and lower O rings) to the replacement unit. Failure to transfer will result in whistling at idle, a high uncontrolled idle and vacume in the crankcase. Well who reads instructions anyways (its a guy thing). After you mentioned PVC valve I looked up the part on google, went out to my garage took the old manifold out of the box, removed the PCV valve, insatlled "all" of the old parts and it works great. I needed a spare serpentine belt anyways. Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX is on the way.

Craig