David DeLeon
David DeLeon, ASE Certified Master Technician
Experience:  Over 20 Years experience, Currently Shop Foreman at VW Dealer
5856072

2000 vw: with automatic transmission will not shift out of park

my 2000 VW bettel with automatic transmission will not shift out of park. It will start, you can turn the wheel but when you step on the break and try to shift it into gear its locked.

This is caused by a faulty brake light switch. There is a recall to replace the brake light switch. If you can provide me with your complete VIN I will run it for any open recalls

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
where is it located and is there a way for me to bypass it so that i can get it out of the bank parking lot where it broke down?
Remove the lower panel under the left side of the dash, you will find it has three torx T20 screws. The switch is on the brake pedal. Some times you can wiggle it and it will work.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
i have a switch on order that will be here this afternoon. i'll let you know if it works