Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database

2000 Eclipse: The heater works fine going down the road (1500 rpm

I have a 2000 Eclipse. The heater works fine going down the road (1500 rpm and higher). But when I stop and idle, the heater turns cold. The thermostat seems to work good (engine temp warms up to the middle of the gauge range and does not go over that point). Coolant level is good (I even checked in the radiator itself). Could the water pump be getting weak? Is their a design flaw that works while the pump and other parts are new, but when things are a little warn they don't work unless the pump is running faster?

Any help would be appriciated, Thanks
Category: Car
Expert:  Dan replied 6 years ago.
It could be from the water pump getting weak but its usually from air in the system or partially clogged heater core. I would get a coolant flush and that should take care of the problem otherwise you can remove the hoses going to the heater core and flush it with a garden hose from both directions. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Is the air in the system a result of head gasket problems or something else?
Expert:  Dan replied 6 years ago.
If you have recently replaced a part of the cooling system that can be the cause of air in the system. If you havent replaced anything then it could be because of a headgasket but I wouldnt assume anything. You can get a cooling system pressure test done to verify the system holds pressure and this will mean the headgasket is good. I think the problem is most likely the heater core being partially clogged. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.