Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database

2003HyundaiElantra: automatic..cylinder..Car drives..drives fine

2003 Hyundai Elantra automatic 4 cylinder w/air conditioning.. Car drives fine on short trips around town. After about an hour of steady driving at 50-60 mph, it loses all power, although motor continues to run. Car does not accelerate, almost as if the transmission is disengaged from the motor. No warning lights, no overheating, no unusual sounds.

After turning motor off and waiting 5 minutes, car drives fine again for a about an hour and then repeats the process.

Category: Car
Expert:  Dan replied 4 years ago.
If vehicle continues to run again for 1-2 hours after being shut off for 5 minutes that would be a good inciation the computer is bad. If it was something such as a internal problem it would take longer then a 5 minute cool down. I would start by replacing the computer, you should be able to find a used one from www.car-parts.com sort by price and have them ship it to you to save money. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Is there no way to check the computer before buying another one?
Expert:  Dan replied 4 years ago.
You would have to bring the vehicle to a shop with a high end scantool so they can command the computer to shift to see if its responding and if it is then they would have to look at internal transmission problems. But if it was an internal transmission problem I dont think problem would be ok after sitting for a few minutes. It could possibly be an internal electrical problem in the transimssion but this should just make it default to one gear instead of not moving at all and would turn on the check engine light. You are best off bringing the vehicle to a shop with this high end scantool so they can monitor all of the solenoids and see if they are shifting or not before replacing parts otherwise your taking educated stabs. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.
Dan, Technician
Experience: Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for the help... I will have to take it to the local Hyundai dealer, I guess. They should have the proper equipment. Thanks for the help
Expert:  Dan replied 4 years ago.
I'm happy I was able to help and wish I could have told you the problem but without the proper equiptment its impossible. Thanks again.