danny
danny, Mechanic
Experience:  Mechanic at school corp bus garage! Experience in fleet diesel and regular automotive.
17254274

1999 mazda 626: why doeas the odometer..with a v..instrument

Customer Question

why doeas the odometer in a 1999 mazda 626 with a v-6 not work an it is plugged in to the instrument clusster
Category: Car
Expert:  Dan replied 6 years ago.
If the odometer is the only thing that doesnt work then the instrument cluster needs to be replaced. You can get a used one from www.car-parts.com sort by price and have them ship it to you. Just make sure the mileage is about the same because the mileage from the used one will stay unless you have it reprogrammed at the dealership. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
im not satisfied
Expert:  Dan replied 6 years ago.

No problem, I"ll opt-out and leave the question open to other experts. Do not reply otherwise question will be locked to me.

Expert:  danny replied 6 years ago.

ON-BOARD DIAGNOSTIC SYSTEM ACTIVATION ETC.

Operating Order

1. Turn the ignition switch to LOCK.
  2. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  3. Reconnect the negative battery cable after 30 seconds or more.
  4. Cycle the ignition switch to ON to LOCK 3 times.
  5. Turn the ignition switch to ON .
  6. Push the odometer/tripometer switch 3 times.

Checking Order

NOTE

• The diagnostic trouble codes are displayed in numerical order. (While performing the inspection, if you want to inspect a diagnostic trouble code of which the number is XXXXX that the code number you are currently inspecting, terminate the check mode then repeat the inspection from the beginning)
  • The diagnostic trouble codes can be fast forward by pushing and holding the odometer/tripometer switch 1 second or more.
  • If rotate the wheels in the codes other than the DTC 10, cancel the input/output check mode.
  1. Push the odometer/tripometer switch and select the diagnostic trouble code.
  2. Inspect each diagnostic trouble code by following the related inspection procedures.

Cancel Order

• Cancel the input/output check mode by turning the ignition switch to LOCK then back to ON .

NOTE : Cancel the input/output check mode by leaving the instrument cluster in check mode for approximately 45 minutes .

Dont worry about the image above it isnt of anything. I will help you with the trouble codes shown.