Mike Myers
Mike Myers, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech, Associates degree in automotive technology, shop owner
26879743

Test drive..2nd gear to gear stick/stearing wheel..shake

went to test drive a car, everything was ok apart from when i changed into 2nd gear to gear stick/stearing wheel started to judder/shake quite noticably. this carried on until i had changed to 3rd gear where it faded out it happen each time i changed to 2nd gear,not 1st or 4th gear, is this something to worry about before i buy the car
Category: Car
Expert:  Mike Myers replied 6 years ago.
yes, this is something to worry about. I'm assuming this is a manual transmission. one of the teeth for 2nd gear is chipped or broken. eventually the transmission will experience more and more problems until it is not drivable. the transmission will have to be removed and rebuilt. about $1500-$2500 at a repair shop. hope this helps.
-mike
Please click the accept button, as this is the only way for me to get paid for my work. A bonus is always much appreciated. Please understand that we will still be able to correspond about any questions you may have. I will always do my best to answer your question and solve your problem. Thank you.