Mike the Mechanic
Mike the Mechanic, ASE/GM MASTER/WORLD CLASSTECH
Experience:  GM Master since 96, ASE advacned level engine diagnosis (L1). Bumper to Bumper tech.
4232346

6.6 I heard about a recall and waranty..white smoke from exhaust..rich

I think i got injector problems on my 04 LB7 6.6 I heard about a recall and waranty on them. It is starting to put out alot of white smoke from exhaust at an idle. and can smell that rich burning oder like either 1 or more injectors is just dumping fuel and not spraying. can you help me out on the recall and waranty on them. I got 154000 miles and is not under waranty. I know them boogers ain't cheap. Bill from FT. Worth Texas
Category: Car
Expert:  Mike the Mechanic replied 7 years ago.
The injectors are covered for 7 years or 200k miles. If there is a injector problem, it should be covered. Ths cost for this repair would be around $4500 if they were not covered.
Here is some information on this issue.

Condition

Some customers of 2001-04 model year Chevrolet Silverado; GMC Sierra; 2003 Chevrolet Kodiak and GMC TopKick vehicles, equipped with a 6.6L Duramax Diesel (RPO LB7 - VIN Code 1) engine, may experience vehicle service engine soon (SES) light illumination, low engine power, hard start, and/or fuel in crankcase, requiring injector replacement, as a result of high fuel return rates due to fuel injector body cracks, ball seat erosion, or high pressure seal extrusion.

Special Policy Adjustment

This special policy covers the condition described above for a period of 7 years or 200,000 miles (320,000 km), whichever occurs first, from the date the vehicle was originally placed in service, regardless of ownership. The repairs will be made at no charge to the customer.

Important: This special policy only covers the above noted failure modes, which are identified by high fuel return flow.

For 2001-2002 vehicles covered by Vehicle Service Contracts, all eligible claims with repair orders on or after May 25, 2004, are covered by this special policy and must be submitted using the labor operation codes provided with this bulletin. Claims with repair orders prior to May 25, 2004 must be submitted to the Service Contract provider.

For 2003 vehicles covered by Vehicle Service Contracts, all eligible claims with repair orders on or after October 10, 2006 are covered by this special policy and must be submitted using the labor operation codes provided with this bulletin. Claims with repair orders prior to October 10, 2006 must be submitted to the Service Contract provider.

For 2004 vehicles covered by Vehicle Service Contracts, all eligible claims with repair orders on or after November 19, 2007 are covered by this special coverage and must be submitted using the labor operation codes provided with this bulletin. Claims with repair orders prior to November 19, 2007 must be submitted to the Service Contract provider.

You my have to pay a diagnosis fee to make sure there is a problem, but if the injectors are bad they will not charge you this fee. They will ask you for this fee so if the injectors are not the problem, there tech will get paid for his dignosis time if you decline any repair that is not covered.